LOVE THIS CAKE. Perfect balance between the sour taste from the lemons, the sweetness from all berries and the richness from the chocolate. Yes yes yes. I made this cake for my non-vegan friends and they were all OBSESSED with it and couldn’t believe it was vegan with no diary or butter and that says a lot! Seriously you have to make it.
(serves 8-10 people)
- 20 fresh gooey dates, pitted
- 1 cup / 2.4 dl raw cashew nuts + 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup / 2.4 dl shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/4 tsp real vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cold pressed coconut oil
- 0.42 cup / 1 dl roughly chopped cashew nuts (pulse down in the end to get that extra crunch)
Cashew Lemon Cream
- 1.7 cup / 4 dl cashew nuts
- 5 ounces / 150 ml cold water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- A pinch Himalaya salt
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla powder
- Fresh blueberries and raspberries
- Raw (or regular) dark chocolate min 70%
1. Make the crust first by mixing cashews, shredded coconut, salt, and vanilla powder in a food processor until the cashews are finely chopped.
2. Pulse down dates until you have a sticky and formable dough.
3. Add coconut oil and pulse again.
4. Carefully pulse down 3 tablespoons of cashews in the end to get that extra crunch, just mix enough so it combines well.
5. Grease a springform (20 cm / 8 inches) with coconut oil and press down plastic wrap into the springform so it covers both the bottom and the edges of the pan.
6. Press down the dough evenly. Place the springform in the fridge for at least 2h so it sets.
Lets Make The Cashew Lemon Cream
7. Mix cashews into a flour in a food processor, add lemon juice and a little bit of the water and mix. Add the rest of the water while the food processor is still running.
8. Pour in the maple syrup and blend until the filling is very smooth and creamy.
9. Season with Himalayan salt and vanilla powder.
10. First take out the cake from the fridge and spread the filling on top of the crust with a silicone spatula.
11. Place the cake in the fridge again to set for at least 4 h, but for best taste and result let it sit over night so all the flavors come through. You can make it the night before your party or dinner.
12. Right before serving carefully remove the removable edges from the springform.
13. Carefully lift the cake out of the bottom with a sharp and wide turner and carefully hold your free hand under the crust so it doesn’t break. Quickly remove the plastic wrap before you place the cake on your serving plate.
14. Decorate with fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries and/or strawberries.
15. Chop up some 70% dark chocolate to garnish the edges of the cake with.
16. Right before serving decorate with fresh berries like blueberries and raspberries.
17. Serve it like it is or with some whipped soy cream or homemade cashew cream + more fresh berries on the side.